Friday, February 11, 2011

An Exhibit at the Zoo

 As a stereotypical teenager, my life revolved completely around school. Academics brought me the happiness and sadness that flavoured my life. Nearly all obstacles I faced originated from the crowded building I learned to call home. Yet, on a quiet November night, this changed. A hand of ice slapped my cheek, and the momentum forced me to turn and find the most difficult hardship. I was rotated to see my reflection with dried blood on her palms. Ultimately, the most emotional and demanding challenge I faced was with the person I knew best.

This began as a refreshing wind pulled a shade over the autumn skies. I slipped on a heavy fleece coat over my brown sweater, adding layers until heat crept up my cheeks. My mother zipped her black coat in a swift motion, reacting to the impatient demands of our anxious dog. Once the leash clicked, firmly attached to our pet's collar, I pulled on the cold metal handle and opened the door. 

We were going through Steveston, a regular routine. The ticking of stalling buses and the claps of human feet on the sidewalk created a calming percussion beat. Idle chatter and distant radio voices added to the orchestra. The natural melody of the outdoors continued as we walked to a crosswalk. We stopped, looked both ways, and stepped on the painted white lines. The maestro in the sky let his instruments play a few seconds longer before reaching a sudden climax. Without notice, a woman screamed and I was blinded by a white light.

When my eyes peeled open, I was flat on my stomach; I was taped by invisible bonds, stuck in that position. Above me, the shrieks of sirens and loud frantic voices blended together. As I came to my senses, I wiggled my feet and and squeezed my eyes shut. Once again, blood began to flow through my insides, but it halted before reaching my arms. I couldn't feel them. Awkwardly, using only my limited abdominal strength, I rose to my knees.

From a new point of view, the rest of the scene flooded through my mind. I noticed white chips in front of me and instinctively ran my tongue through my mouth. I froze when I couldn't find my front teeth. This fear, however, lasted only a second; delayed reactions finally allowed me to see the familiar figure unconscious on the pavement. Someone came and took me to the sidewalk, but Arctic winds were already running through my bloodstream. I sat on the curb as my tears hit the ground, mixing in with those of the traumatized clouds. The water should have flooded the streets as I wailed and desperately gasped for air. 


Within hours, the puffiness of my fingers subsided and I was able to move my arms again. Days later, a permanent souvenir was placed in my mouth. In a week, my bruises lightened until its colour matched my skin. And even still, the scream robbed me of peaceful nights for nearly a month. In my dreams I saw the faceless drivers pass by as their passengers stared down at my mother and I. I heard my own voice, drowned in tears, echoing, "I could have protected her!" 


The dreams persisted, but on Tuesday morning I went to school. Here, I became a new exhibit at a zoo. Everyone wanted to see what the bizarre animal looked like; yet, that was all. There were fingerprints on the glass, but not one person read the information provided next to it. Despite being surrounded, there was only one person who understood what was happening. There was only one living being behind the glass. 


As the weekend hesitantly approached, the heavy smell of sanitizers and disinfectants burned my nose. The atmosphere clouded over my carcass and pulled my heart down to my stomach. In an internal agony I looked to see the familiar figure in the white bed. She showed no proof of being alive; only the soft, beeping heart monitor told me her soul was there.  I stared at our family's keystone member, limbs strapped to the bed rails and tubes forced up her nose. Outside, the constant claps of shoes on the floor was interrupted by my father's hushed tone. He stepped into the room, face emotionless, and I averted my glance to the white flooring. 


For the following week, my nighttime lullaby was the soft, muffled whispers of unexpressed pain. Even when my mother came home, the lullaby played on. She was talking and walking, but a crucial part of her had changed. Her eyes were constantly glazed and distant as if she was in deep concentration. At meals, she ate her desserts first and became closely attached to flavour enhancers. Her memory was coming back, but she took time to remember names; at one moment she had forgotten of my dog and I's existences. During such times, I went to sleep and saw myself locking her in a time machine.


Days later, a news article was published. It featured our story. Now, the truth was public. Now, everyone knew how helpless I was. Tears were replaced by frustration as nails clawed into my skin. My sister stood at my door, speechless and stiff.


"I liked your old self better," she whispered. I wanted to retort back an intelligent comment, but she had quickly run downstairs as if the house was on fire.


Following this incident came visits from lawyers, police, and friends. Together, they campaigned against animal captivity and the zoo released their odd animal. It was finally taken back to its natural habitat, to be with its complete family. 


And as life renewed itself, my mother's injuries were no longer visible. Yet, she still looked at me with a pained expression, holding on a little longer when I hugged her goodnight. This, along with the entire life-changing accident, made me understand what true hardship was. Forgiveness was an extremely difficult and ongoing interior battle. And yet, something of that sort didn't need to be fought alone. There was always someone to help me come to terms with myself. When I saw my reflection, I had forgotten there was someone to turn on the taps. Ultimately, the bloodstains on my hands could be washed away, and the stench could fade until it was reduced to forgotten memories.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaitlin,

    Thank you for sharing this narrative. An effective use of the zoo metaphor is carried throughout your essay. You write about a very traumatizing time in your life and do a beautiful job of using "show not tell" to intimate, rather than explicitly detail how this experience impacted your life. Lines like "I averted my glance to the white flooring" say little, but are so powerful in the emotions that they suggest. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete